Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tupperware

Daughter's preschool is fundraising, which is fair enough, they need to raise funds. I'm happy to support them, even if we don't particularly like them (Daughter does though, so she's not being neglected or anything) and would like to participate in fundraising activities.

Except - it's Tupperware.

Plastic containers that cost more than the same item made out of Sterling Silver. Stuff you get for under $10 from the supermarket or $2 Shop. Stuff that the kids magically manage to lose all of one particular half of that thing, like the lids - so you end up with 20 plastic boxes that are essentially useless because you can't cover them.

As much as I love the sight of neatly stacked and packed items, all colour co-ordinated, lined up in rows, shining from the shelf.. or prepping baking with ingredients in matching bowls.. or sending the kids off with their packed lunches in tidy compartment containers - I can't justify the cost. To get each child just one lunch box, there's only a few cents worth of change out of $100.

We budget, and $100 goes a long way... like, towards a month membership at the gym, or half way to a pair of boots, or a nice top, or a case of wine on special at Countdown. You know, important places..

Having said that, I'll be filling in my form as soon as I can find a pen around somewhere. It's for a good cause, not only does it go towards supporting the preschool - it also means I can send my daughter off in the morning with smug satisfaction that her lunchbox is as good as, if not better than, the child sitting next to her. And as much as I like to pretend it's not a competition, sometimes, it just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment